|Prescription (Rx) Abuse Prevention Programs
> Teen Influencer Workshop
Teen Influencer Workshop
Learn How to Help Prevent Teen Prescription Drug Abuse
|Teen Rx Drug Abuse Facts
- Six percent of 12th graders report using narcotic drugs, among the most dangerous of prescription medications
- Fourteen percent of 12th graders report using one or more of these prescription drugs— narcotics, sedatives, tranquilizers, and/or amphetamines
- Three percent of 10th graders report using the narcotic pain reliever OxyContin
- Eighteen percent of high school students report taking a prescription drug without a prescription
- Most teens report getting prescription medications from friends or relatives
- Teens today perceive fewer risks associated with misusing or abusing prescription stimulants than did their peers in 2009
Source: Johnston, L. D., O'Malley, P. M., Miech, R.A.,Bachman, J. G., & Schulenberg, J. E. (2015). Monitoring the Future national results on adolescent drug use: Overview of key findings, 2014. Ann Arbor, Mich.: Institute for Social Research, the University of Michigan.
This resource was created by NCPIE, in partnership with the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), and 15 nationally recognized prevention, health professional and child advocacy organizations. A Project Advisory Team of experts guided the workshop's development and focus.
|Abusing Rx Drugs …
- Increases blood pressure or heart rate
- Damages brain and other organs
- Can cause poisoning and overdose
- Creates physical dependence and addiction
- Disrupts breathing
- May cause seizures
- Increases risks associated with mixing multiple drugs and/or combining drugs with alcohol
- Increases risk of death
Maximizing Your Role as a Teen Influencer: What You Can Do to Help Prevent Teen Prescription Drug Abuse is a comprehensive workshop for teen influencers—parents, grandparents, teachers, coaches, community and school-based healthcare providers, and others individuals who interact with teens. The workshop is designed to help educate audiences about teen prescription drug abuse.
Workshop Components and Objectives
Maximizing Your Role as a Teen Influencer: What You Can Do to Help Prevent Teen Prescription Drug Abuse workshop is an interactive program designed for a community setting. Presenters can be any individuals with a connection to the community and don’t need any specialized training. The workshop materials provide everything you'll need for a one-hour presentation. During the workshop, participants will
- Learn about prescription (Rx) drug abuse by teens
- Learn how their roles as teen influencers can help prevent teen Rx drug abuse
- Learn facts about teen Rx drug abuse to combat common myths
- Be empowered to talk to other teen influencers about Rx abuse
Workshop materials include
- Fact sheets on common myths about prescription drug abuse by teens
- Handouts describing warning signs and symptoms of prescription drug abuse by teens
- Strategies to use to talk with teens about prescription drug abuse
- Suggestions for promoting your workshop in your community
- Role-playing scenarios to practice workshop skills
Your Role as a Presenter
You don't need any special training to organize and present the Maximizing Your Role as a Teen Influencer: What You Can Do to Help Prevent Teen Prescription Drug Abuse workshop. You don’t have to be a healthcare professional or an expert on teen prescription drug abuse.
Your presentation will educate other teen influencers about prescription drug abuse by teens. The workshop also includes resources you can share to enhance their outreach efforts.
Everything you need to conduct the workshop is provided in easy-to-follow instructions in the Presenter’s Guide. You’ll learn step-by-step instructions for how to organize each section of the workshop, as well as how to promote it in your community. The workshop takes approximately one hour to complete:
- Welcome and Introductions (10 minutes)
- Presentation (25-30 minutes)
- Role Playing Activity (15 minutes)
- Wrap Up and Evaluation (10 minutes)
In the Presenter’s Guide you’ll find
- A Presenter’s checklist with an organized list of tasks to do before, the day of and after your workshop
- Role play scenarios include real-life situations to engage parents, teachers, coaches, healthcare providers and other teen influencers and make the workshop more interactive
- Key messages provide teen influencers with a snapshot of important information about teen prescription drug abuse
A PowerPoint presentation with a script and suggested talking points also is available to help you organize the worshop.
The Presenter’s Guide includes these materials, which are also available below as individual PDFs for participants:
For more information on ordering multiple copies of the Teen Influencer brochures pictured to the right, please click on the links below.
This initiative is made possible by SAMHSA and funding from Purdue Pharma LP and the National Association of Chain Drug Stores Foundation.
Top of Page