|Membership in the National Council on Patient Information and Education (NCPIE) is
open to organizations committed to providing patients, consumers and
caregivers with useful and appropriate medicine information. NCPIE is a
non-profit, 501(c)(3) coalition of organizations, which develops and provides
valuable patient educational programs and educational resources promoting the latest
advances in communication research and practice. NCPIE conducts multi-media campaigns
such as the annual “Talk About Prescriptions” Month every October.
In addition, NCPIE produces ground breaking referenced research reports such as
“Enhancing Prescription Medicine Adherence: A National Action Plan” and conducts special issue
forums and invitational workshops to address critical medicine safe use issues like adherence
improvement, prescription drug abuse prevention, reduction of medication errors, and quality
improvements in healthcare provider – patient medicine communication.
NCPIE’s activities are guided by three common values:
1. To represent a wide spectrum of organizations serving the public health through educational and advocacy programs;
2. To empower consumers to be more informed about and active in decisions affecting their use of medicines;
3. To be a catalyst and convener for the development of new, useful, and scientifically accurate information about medicine use that is disseminated in multiple formats to a wide range of audiences.
In addition to its long-term focus on the appropriate use of medicines, what makes NCPIE unique is the depth and breadth of its national coalition of multidisciplinary organizations committed to providing patients with useful and appropriate medicine information. The NCPIE Coalition of members includes and is open to:
- Consumer organizations, patient advocacy groups, and voluntary health agencies;
- Organizations representing healthcare professionals and health educators;
- Schools of medicine, pharmacy, nursing and allied health professions;
- Local, state, and federal government agencies;
- Health-related trade associations;
- National and international for-profit companies including pharmaceutical manufacturers, patient information/database companies, managed care organizations, and communication/public relations firms.
Collaboration is the Key
NCPIE has 30 years of successful collaborations with federal agencies including the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA); the Administration on Aging, and the Agency for Healthcare Quality and Research (AHRQ).
NCPIE represents the collective interests of its members on numerous prestigious external bodies and actively participates on the following coalitions:
NCPIE Membership Categories
NCPIE has four categories of organizational membership:
3. Healthcare Professional
4. Government Agencies and non-Govt. Standard-Setting Organizations
|How to Submit Your Membership Application
NCPIE's annual membership year is January-December. New member applications are accepted year-round. We look forward to welcoming your organization to NCPIE! Click here to view the member benefits. Click here to download a membership application form and view the three dues tiers, based on the type of organization. The application can be either mailed or faxed along with your payment (credit card or check) to:
National Council on Patient Information and Education (NCPIE)
200-A Monroe Street, Suite 212
Rockville, MD 20850-4844
Fax (301) 340-3944
Once your membership is processed, NCPIE will send you a "Welcome" letter and packet of our popular educational resources. Please contact NCPIE by email or phone (301)340-3940 ext. 15 if you have any questions.