Founded in 1982, the National Council on Patient Information and Education (NCPIE), located in Rockville, MD is a non-profit multi-stakeholder coalition working to stimulate and improve communication of information on the appropriate use of medicines to consumers and health care professionals. NCPIE, since its beginning, has strongly advocated for the “Medicine Education Team” – considering the patient the key player. NCPIE develops and provides valuable patient educational programs and educational resources promoting the latest advances in communication research and practice. NCPIE’s public-facing websites include: talkaboutrx.org; bemedicinesmart.org; bemedwise.org; mustforseniors.org and recoveryopensdoors.org.
NCPIE works to address critical medicine safe use issues like adherence improvement, prescription drug abuse prevention, treatment and recovery, medication error reduction, quality improvements in healthcare provider – patient medicine communication and safe storage and disposal of medicines.
NCPIE’s activities are guided by three common values:
- To represent a wide spectrum of organizations serving the public health through educational and advocacy programs;
- To empower consumers to be more informed about and active in decisions affecting their use of medicines;
- To be a catalyst; convener; collaborator and clearinghouse for the development of new, useful, and scientifically accurate information about medicine use that is disseminated in multiple formats to a wide range of audiences.
The NCPIE coalition includes and is open to:
- Consumer organizations, patient advocacy groups, and voluntary health agencies;
- Organizations representing healthcare professionals and health educators;
- Schools of pharmacy, medicine, nursing and allied health professions;
- Local, state, and federal government agencies;
- Health-related trade associations;
- National and international for-profit companies including pharmaceutical manufacturers, patient information/database companies, managed care organizations, and communication/public relations firms.
NCPIE sponsors the national “Talk About Prescriptions” Month each October to keep the spotlight on the role that high quality medicine communication can play in promoting better medicine use and better health outcomes.
NCPIE's annual membership year is January-December. New member applications are accepted year-round. We look forward to welcoming your organization to NCPIE!
For details about membership click here.